There’s an adage that says, “Chance favors the prepared.” This holds true in plastic surgery, as well! Here at our Las Vegas cosmetic surgery practice, we encourage our patients to strictly adhere to our pre-surgery instructions to reduce the chances of developing complications and to ensure that your results are in line with your expectations.
Individuals may receive some different specifics, but this is a general guide to preparing for your surgery.
2-6 weeks before surgery
This period before your scheduled surgery should be dedicated to making sure that you are either at your optimum health or close to it. You can achieve that by doing the following:
- Quit smoking — it can significantly delay healing and increase your chances of developing complications post-surgery.
- Get plenty of sleep and rest.
- Avoid activities that will compromise your immune system.
- Make sure that you schedule sufficient time off from work or school for recovery.
- Avoid foods and drugs such as aspirin, green tea, and herbal supplements that increase your chances of bleeding during and after the procedure.
Right after your pre-surgery check-up
- Fill prescriptions that you may need post-surgery.
- Arrange for someone to drive you home and stay with you for the first 24 to 48 hours after the procedure.
One week before surgery
- Build your recovery nest with comfort aids such as pillows and grocery supplies. Stock up on movies, books, crossword puzzles, and other entertainment.
- Easy-to-prepare meals are also good to have on hand.